Kunal started his career in bollywood as an assistant director to Rakesh Mehra in “Aks“. However the call to be in front of a camera hac more of an effect on Kunal and he made his debut with Meenaxi: The tale of three cities” , which not only won him critical acclaim but also helped him establish his own footing and pace in the industry.
Making a most unconventional debut with Meenaxi: A tale of 3 cities, the critically acclaimed actor took things at his own pace thereafter. Since over a year now, Kunal has also been associated with Naseeruddin Shah’s theatre group.
In 2006, Kapoor became an overnight sensation with the hit film Rang De Basanti. It was critically and commercially successful; it was India?s official entry to the Oscars and was nominated in the Best Foreign Film category at the 2007 BAFTA Awards. His performance was acclaimed and he received a Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award nomination.
In 2007, he starred in Hattrick which failed to do well at the box office. His next two films, Laaga Chunari Mein Daag and Aaja Nachle, also failed to make an impact at the box office.
He has endorsed popular brands like Thums up, Indian terrain, Ray Ban and Mahindra Logan. Along with actress Gwyneth Paltrow, he is the face of the Save the Children charity.
He is known to be very selective about the work he does and had a release in National Award-winning director Rahul Dholakia?s Lamhaa after two years, for which he received critical acclaim.
Kunal Kapoor voiced the Indian god Rama in Mahayoddha Rama, directed by Raizada Rohit Jaising Vaid. The film is an animated mythological movie based on the Ramayana.
In 2009, Kapoor started writing weekly columns for HT City, the lifestyle supplement of the Hindustan Times. These columns ended in November 2009 but still appear online on the social network Desimartini.
He played a pivotal role in the Shahrukh Khan starrer, Don 2 for which he received acclaim from both audiences and critics.
Movies Done By Kunal Kapoor
- 2004 Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities Kameshwar Mathur
- 2006 Rang De Basanti Aslam / Ashfaqulla Khan Nominated, Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award
- 2007 Hattrick Saby aka Sarbjeet Singh
- 2007 Laaga Chunari Mein Daag Vivaan Varma
- 2007 Aaja Nachle Imran Pathan
- 2008 Bachna Ae Haseeno Joginder Ahluwalia
- 2008 Welcome to Sajjanpur Bansi Ram
- 2010 Lamhaa Aatif
- 2011 Don 2 Sameer Ali
- 2012 Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana Omi Khurana
- 2015 Kaun Kitne Paani Mein Raj Singhdeo
- 2016 Dear Zindagi Raghuvendra
- 2017 Veeram Chandu Chekavar Malayalam film
- 2017 Raag Desh General Shahnawaz
- 2018 Gold Samrat
- 2018 Devadas David Telugu film
- 2018 Noblemen Murali Hindi film
Kunal Kapoor As Assistant director
- 2001 Aks Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
Awards and nominations Received by Kunal Kapoor
- 2006: Star’s Sabsey Favourite Naya Hero
- 2007: Stardust Breakthrough Performance, Male
- 2005 Zee Cine Awards Best Newcomer Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities Nominated
- 2007 Filmfare Awards Best Supporting Actor Rang De Basanti Nominated
- 2007 International Indian Film Academy Awards Best Supporting Actor Nominated
- 2017 Asiavision Awards Outstanding performance of the year Veeram Won
- 2019 Toronto international South Asian film awards Special jury award Won
- 2019 South Indian International Movie Awards Best Actor in a Negative Role – Telugu Devadas Nominated