Amrita Rao started her career as a model during her college days. She has done approximately 35 advertisements up till now. Her first commercial was Fairever Face Cream. But she got noticed in ads of Close-Up toothpaste, Cadbury’s Perk, and Nestle’s Bru Coffee. After graduating in Psychology she began her acting career in Bollywood films.
Amrita Rao made her debut in Bollywood with AB KE BARAS (2002) in a dual as Anjali Thapar/ Nandini, opposite Raj Babbar’s son Arya Babbar. In the same year she also worked in THE LEGEND OF BHAGAT SINGH (2002) opposite Ajay Devgn. She played the role of Bhagat Singh’s fiancee Mannewali. She went unnoticed in these two films. But in 2003 she was noticed by one and all when she appeared in Ken Ghosh’s ISHQ VISHK (2003) opposite Shahid Kapoor. She played the role of a cute and decent college going girl Payal, who falls in love with her childhood friend. The film was a success and Amrita’s performance was appreciated.
2004 was a good year for Amrita as she appeared in three multi-starrer films. In MASTI (2004) Amrita was seen as Aanchal opposite Vivek Oberoi. The film also starred Aftab Shivdasani, Tara Sharma, Riteish Deshmukh, Genelia D’Souza, Lara Dutta and Ajay Devgn. In MAIN HOON NA (2004) Amrita was seen as Sanjana Bakshi opposite Zayed Khan. The film also starred Shahrukh Khan, Suniel Shetty, Kabir Bedi and Sushmita Sen. She played a college going girl. In DEEWAR: LET’S BRING OUR HEROES HOME (2004), Amrita was seen alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt and Akshaye Khanna. MASTI (2004) and MAIN HOON NA (2004) were successful at the Box Office. But DEEWAR (2004) was a Box Office failure.
2005 wasn’t a good year for Amrita. In VAAH! LIFE HO TOH AISI (2005) she was seen opposite Shahid Kapoor. The film failed at the box office. She played the role of the Shahid Kapoor’s girlfriend Priya. Shahid’s character in the film dies and becomes a ghost leaving behind all the responsibilities of taking care of his mother and his nephews with Priya. As a true lover Priya supports the family. Next she was seen in SHIKAR (2005) again apposite Shahid Kapoor. The film also starred Ajay Devgn and Bipasha Basu. Amrita played the role of Madhvi, whose lover is struggling for the rights of the farmer’s land, which is going to be grabbed by builders. Both the films didn’t do well at the Box-Office.
In 2006 she appeared in PYARE MOHAN (2006) opposite Vivek Oberoi. The film also starred Fardeen Khan and Esha Deol. Her character- Piya is falsely accused of committing a murder. Sadly the film didn’t turn out well at the Box Office. She next appeared in the Sooraj Barjatiya’s family film VIVAH (2006) as Poonam. The film was hit at the Box-Office and Amrita won Dadasaheb Phalke Award for her brilliant performance in this film. This was her third film opposite Shahid Kapoor. It was based on a couples’s journey from engagement to marriage.
In the same year Amrita made her debut in Tollywood, with the Telugu film ATIHDHI (2007) as Amrita Goutham opposite Mahesh Babu. She also made a guest appearance in HEYY BABYY (2007).
In 2008 Amrita was seen in MY NAME IS ANTHONY GONSALVES (2008) as Riya opposite Nikhil Dwivedi with Mithun Chakraborty. She also starred in SHAURYA (2008) as Neerja Singh starring Rahul Bose, Kay Kay Menon and Minissha Lamba. Both the films were Box-Office disasters.
She also featured in VICTORY (2009) opposite Harman Baweja. She played Nandini, a struggling cricketer’s fiancee. She also appeared in SHORTCUT: THE CON IS ON (2009) opposite Akshaye Khanna. The film also starred Arshad Warsi. She played the role of Mansi, a famous Bollywood Actress. Both the films didn’t succeed at the Box-Office.
Amrita Rao made a guest appearance in LIFE PARTNER (2009), and in JAANE KAHAN SE AAYI HAI (2010).
Amrita Rao will be soon coming in the films like THE LEGEND OF KUNAL (2010) as Kanchanmala. The film also stars Amitabh Bachchan and Arjun Rampal.Her next upcoming film is LOVE U MR. KALAKAAR (2010) opposite Tusshar Kapoor. Her third upcoming film is David Dhawan’s HOOK YA CROOK (2010) opposite John Abraham. The film also stars Genelia D’Souza.
Films Done By Amrita Rao
- 2002 Ab Ke Baras Anjali Thapar/ Nandini Debut Movie along with Aarya Babbar
- 2002 The Legend of Bhagat Singh Mannewali Special Appearance
- 2003 Ishq Vishk Payal Mehra
- 2004 Masti Aanchal Mehta
- 2004 Main Hoon Na Sanjana (Sanju) Bakshi Nominated – Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress
- 2004 Deewaar Radhika
- 2005 Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi! Priya
- 2005 Shikhar Madhavi
- 2006 Pyare Mohan Piya
- 2006 Vivah Poonam
- 2007 Heyy Babyy – Special appearance in song “Heyy Babyy”
- 2007 Athidhi Amrita Telugu debut
- 2008 My Name is Anthony Gonsalves Riya
- 2008 Shaurya Neerja Rathod
- 2008 Welcome to Sajjanpur Kamala
- 2009 Victory Nandini
- 2009 Short Kut: The Con is On Mansi
- 2009 Life Partner Anjali Special appearance
- 2010 Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai Tara’s sister Special appearance
- 2011 Love U…Mr. Kalakaar! Ritu
- 2013 Jolly LLB Sandhya
- 2013 Singh Saab the Great Shikha Chaturvedi
- 2013 Satyagraha Sumitra
- 2019 Thackeray Meena Tai Thackeray
- 2019 TBA The Legend of Kunal Films that have not yet been released Kanchanmala Pre-production
- 2019 Satsang Films that have not yet been released TBA Pre-production
Television Done By Amrita Rao
- Perfect Bride Herself(Judge) Star Plus 2009 Reality Show
- Meri Awaaz Hi Pehchaan Hai Kalyani &TV 2016
Awards and nominations Received By Amrita Rao
- 2003 Star Screen Awards Most Promising Newcomer – Female Ab Ke Baras Nominated
- 2003 Filmfare Awards Best Newcomer – Female Nominated
- 2003 Zee Cine Awards Best Debut – Female Nominated
- 2004 IIFA Star Debut of the Year – Female Ishq Vishk Won
- 2005 Filmfare Awards Best Supporting Actress Main Hoon Na Nominated
- 2007 Star Screen Awards Best Actress Vivah Nominated
- 2007 Jodi No. 1 (along with Shahid Kapoor) Nominated
- 2009 Stardust Awards Best Actress Welcome to Sajjanpur