Vir being known as a talented comedian, Vir Das has come a long way to establish himself firmly on the big screen today. After performing multiple plays home and abroad, he has slowly but firmly bagged a pivotal role for himself in the film industry.
Vir Das was born in India but completed his schooling from different parts of the world. He is an Alumni of the Indian Language School, wherein he studied in Lagos, Simla and Delhi. After completing his schooling, he completed his Bachelors from the Knox College with a degree in Economics and Theatre. It was here that his love for act writing and performing evolved. His major concentration was also in the subject of performance in his Bachelor curriculum. He first started at the Harbach Theatre in Knox, with his first play Brown Men Can’t Hump. It was a moderate success and he has also adapted the play on Indian theatre platform. He also took up a job as an assistant in teaching for beginning acting course. After his initial theatre forays, he was selected for the prestigious Stanislavsky program at the world famous Harvard University. As a part of his program, he performed in association with the Moscow Arts Theatre.
During his stay in the United States, he wrote and acted in various plays. Initial work for him was in Comedy Troupes. Vir also worked in Comedy clubs as a stand-up comedian. By now, he gained fame for being a very good stand-up comedian artist and his acting skills were further honed with these experiences.
He got back to India at the age of 24 and since then, has established himself with a niche carved in almost all fields. Starting from the scratch, he has written and performed over 100 comedy plays. His most notable work has come across at the India Habitat Centre in Delhi. His comedy shows bear a striking hallmark of intelligent comedy and have often been named very distinctively. Take for example Who Let the Das Out, ViRagra, Son of a Switch.
Television was the next step as he was a part of Zoom TV, wherein he was allotted two TV show slots of his own. Is Route Ki Sabhin Linein Maast Hain and Ek Rahin Vir were his shows on Zoom TV, while the popularity of these two got him another one on Star World. He has gone one to perform on TV channels with different characteristics ranging from Cricket to Film based humour. Now a days he is a hit amongst the television audience owing to his shows Now Not Showing and News on the Loose.
Films was the next logical step on the career ladder for Vir and after appearing in miniscule roles, he has since established himself firmly with films like Badmaash Company and Delhi Belly, both of which were super hits. He has also ventured into column writing for esteemed magazines and papers.
There isn’t any other sophisticated comedian out there who can attempt the humour genre Vir can. He can create and generate high quality intellectual comedy, a trait missing in Indian comedy for a long time now. Surely, Vir is out there to fill out that void.
Movies Done By Vir Das
- 2007 Namastey London Prospective Groom No. 1 Guest appearance
- 2007 Mumbai Salsa Rajeev
- 2008–09 Mumbai Calling Call center attendant Seven episodes
- 2009 Love Aaj Kal Shonty
- 2010 Badmaash Company Chandu
- 2011 Delhi Belly Arup
- 2013 Go Goa Gone Luv
- 2013 Sooper Se Ooper Ranvir
- 2014 Shaadi Ke Side Effects Manav
- 2014 Revolver Rani Rohan Kapoor
- 2014 Amit Sahni Ki List Amit Sahni
- 2016 Mastizaade Aditya Chotia
- 2016 Santa Banta Banta
- 2016 31st October Devender Singh
- 2016 Raakh Protagonist
- 2016 Shivaay Wahab
- 2017 Patel Ki Punjabi Shaadi Monty Tondon
- 2019 Sabaash Naidu Indian Embassy receptionist
TV Series Done By Vir Das
- 2017 Conan (talk show) Guest
- 2019 Whiskey Cavalier Jai Datta Main Cast
- 2019 Koffee with Karan Himself Episode: Koffee Awards 2019
- 2020 Fresh Off the Boat DC Episode: “The Magic Motor Inn”
Web Series Done By Vir Das
- 2014 YouTube Canvas Laugh Factory
- 2017 Netflix A Broad Understanding Stand-up special
- 2018 Netflix Losing It Stand-up special
- 2019 Prime Video Jestination Unknown Comedy series
- 2020 Netflix Hasmukh Writer and an actor
- 2020 Netflix For India Stand-up special
- 2020 Virdas.in Vir Das : Inside Out Stand-up special