Films and acting are a legacy for actor Ranbir Kapoor. His father is the famous Rishi Kapoor and grandfather, the late Raj Kapoor. His mother Neetu Singh, too was a famous actress during her time. He is the scion of filmdom’s ‘Kapoor khandaan’, the first family of Bollywood. It was but natural that he should take to films like a fish takes to water.
Ranbir studied filmmaking at the School of Visual Arts and Acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in New York. He was always passionate about acting and wanted to be an actor since his childhood. He made his foray into Bollywood first serving as an assistant to director Sanjay Leela Bhansali, when he was working on ‘Black’.
He was subsequently launched by Bhansali in 2007 in the film ‘Saawariya‘. Ranbir made his debut opposite his childhood friend and Anil Kapoor’s daughter Sonam Kapoor. Although the film was panned by critics and didn’t fare too well at the box office, Ranbir was appreciated by one and all and went on to sign quite a few prestigious projects, like Yash Raj banner’s ‘Bachna Ae Haseeno’, directed by Siddharth Anand, where he had three lovely ladies cast opposite him, Bipasha Basu, Deepika Padukone and Minissha Lamba.
Anand’s film did decent business and Ranbir’s brand value kept increasing with every release. Ayan Mukherjee’s ‘Wake Up Sid’ was another feather in his cap. The actor had also done Shimit Amin’s ‘Rocket Singh: Salesman Of The Year’. Even though the movie didn’t click commercially, Ranbir was much appreciated.
Raj Kumar Santoshi’s ‘Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani‘ had Ranbir hogging the limelight with Katrina Kaif. The film did very good business and the duo was now seen as the next big thing to happen to Bollywood. Their next film together, Prakash Jha’s ‘Raajneeti’ is doing great business at the box office.
Ranbir has been singled out for a lot of praise for his role in the movie. A very grey character, it was a very different role which made Ranbir really dig inside to play the character with conviction. Despite being part of such a stellar cast, Ranbir’s performance was to talk about. The actor has also endorsed a few brands like Pepsi, wherein his ‘Youngistan‘ commercial was well appreciated. Though Ranbir looks more like his mother, it is his father who has been and still remains his inspiration.
He is gradually moving towards acquiring a romantic image, quite like his father before him. It won’t be an exaggeration to say that the fate of the RK banner now truly lies in the hands of Gen Next which comprises of Ranbir and his cousin Kareena Kapoor’ they are hot and they are happening. They could definitely give the banner a new lease of life. Coming up next for release for Ranbir will be Anand’s ‘Anjaana Anjaani’ opposite Priyanka Chopra and Imtiaz Ali’s ‘Rockstar’, apart from a reported Mani Ratnam film too.
Awards And Nominations Received By Ranvir Kapoor
- Asian Film Awards
- 2019 Sanju Best Actor Nominated
- 2019 BIG Star Entertainment Awards
- 2010 Raajneeti Most Entertaining Film Actor – Male Won N/A New Talent of the Decade – Male Won
- 2011 Rockstar Most Entertaining Film Actor – Male WonMost Entertaining Film Actor in a Romantic Role – Male Won
- 2012 Barfi! Most Entertaining Film Actor – Male Won Most Entertaining Film Actor in a Romantic Role – Male Won
- 2013 Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani Most Entertaining Film Actor – Male Won Most Entertaining Film Actor in a Romantic Role – Male Won
- 2015 Tamasha Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Role-Male Won
- 2008 Saawariya Best Male Debut Won
- 2010 Wake Up Sid Best Actor Nominated Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani Nominated
- 2010 Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year Best Actor (Critics) Won
- 2011 Raajneeti Best Actor Nominated
- 2012 Rockstar Best Actor Won Best Actor (Critics) Won
- 2013 Barfi! Best Actor Won
- 2014 Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani Best Actor Nominated
- 2016 Tamasha Best Actor Nominated
- 2017 Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Best Actor Nominated
- 2018 Jagga Jasoos Best Actor (Critics) Nominated
- 2019 Sanju Best Actor Won Best Actor (Critics) Nominated
Films Done By Ranvir kapoor
- 1999 Aa Ab Laut Chalen — Assistant director
- 2005 Black — Assistant director
- 2007 Saawariya Ranbir Raj Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut
- 2008 Bachna Ae Haseeno Raj Sharma
- 2009 Luck by Chance Himself Cameo appearance
- 2009 Wake Up Sid Siddharth “Sid” Mehra Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2009 Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani Prem Shankar Sharma Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2009 Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year Harpreet Singh Bedi Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor
(also for Wake Up Sid & Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani)
- 2010 Raajneeti Samar Pratap Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2010 Anjaana Anjaani Akash
- 2011 Chillar Party Himself Special appearance in song “Tai Tai Phish”
- 2011 Rockstar Janardhan “Jordan” Jakkad Filmfare Award for Best ActorFilmfare Critics Award for Best Actor
- 2012 Barfi! Murphy “Barfi” Johnson Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2013 Bombay Talkies Himself Special appearance in song “Apna Bombay Talkies”
- 2013 Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani Kabir “Bunny” Thapar Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2013 Besharam Babli Also playback singer for song “Love Ki Ghanti”
- 2014 Bhoothnath Returns Himself Cameo appearance
- 2014 PK Alien Cameo appearance
- 2015 Roy Roy
- 2015 Bombay Velvet Johnny Balraj
- 2015 Tamasha Ved Vardhan Sahni Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2016 Girls With Goals Himself Documentary series
- 2016 Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Ayan Sanger Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actor
- 2017 Jagga Jasoos Jagga Also producer; Nominated—Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor
- 2018 Love Per Square Foot Gattu Cameo appearance
- 2018 Bucket List Himself Marathi film; cameo appearance
- 2018 Sanju Sanjay Dutt Filmfare Award for Best Actor Nominated—Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor
- 2020 Shamshera Film has yet to be released Shamshera Filming
- 2020 Brahmastra Film has yet to be released Shiva Filming