She is the daughter of Aditya Puri, Managing Director of HDFC Bank. She resides in Mumbai, India. She was born in 1983.
After completing her post-graduation, Puri started her career through writing and doing theatre, with her first play being Quasar Thakore Padamsee’s English play View From The Stage and Scherazade Kaiokobad’s “Retellings” . For a year she did copywriting for advertising agency Ogilvy along with freelancing for lifestyle magazine. After getting her portfolio done by Dilip Bhatia, she started auditioning for movies and ad films. Soon she did her first ad for Kotex and later featured in ads and TV commercials for several brands, including People First, Garnier and LOreal.
After auditioning for few films, she finally landed with the role of Shefali Thakur in Aisha. She gained acclaim through the movie, which was dubbed as “India’s first chick flick”. It was loosely based on the Jane Austen novel Emma and its Hollywood adaptation Clueless. Her performance was described by leading critics as “heartwarming” (The Times of India), a “real surprise” (Press Trust of India) and “steals the film” (Rajeev Masand, CNN-IBN).
Post Aisha, she went back to do few plays including the M.E.T.A award winning play by Akvarious Productions The Interview (alongside Karan Pandit and Kashin Shetty), and Famous Last Words(alongside Sahil Jaffrey and Anish Trivedi).
Films Done By Amrita Puri
- 2021 Hum Masti Karenge!dagger Priya 23 July 2021
- 2020 83dagger Vidya Srikkanth TBA
- 2019 Judgementall Hai Kya Megha Kumar
- 2013 Kai Po Che Vidya Bhatt
- 2012 Blood Money Aarzoo Kadam
- 2010 Aisha Shefali Thakur
Television Done By Amrita Puri
- P.O.W. – Bandi Yuddh Ke as Harleen Kaur
- Stories by Rabindranath Tagore as Charulata
- Four More Shots Please! as Kavya Arora
- Made In Heaven as Devyani Singh
Awards & Nominations Received By Amrita Puri
- 2010 Aisha Stardust Awards Best Breakthrough Performance Award Won
- 2010 Screen Awards Best Supporting Actress